United Methodist Women – Mission ‘u’ studies
Are you interested in spending time learning with others and growing in faith? People of all ages are invited to join United Methodist Women at Mission u, an event that engages Biblical study, spiritual growth, and social action and equips us to transform the world as disciples of Christ.
In 2020, we will study:
• Spiritual Growth Study: Finding Peace in an Anxious World Using the book of Proverbs alongside Niebuhr’s “Serenity Prayer,” this study encourages us to explore various spiritual disciplines to find the peace that surpasses all understanding in the midst of our busy, sometimes anxious lives.
• Spiritual Growth Youth Study: Managing Anxiety In the explorative spiritual growth study “Managing Anxiety,” authors Trudy Rankin and Faye Wilson educate youth on one very normal emotion with considerable power—anxiety—and offer tools and practices that give them the self-confidence to manage decisions, control their emotions and mature into healthy young adults, using our Christian faith as a guide.
• Spiritual Growth Children’s Study: Managing Our Emotions “Managing Our Emotions” helps children learn about their emotions and accept God’s gift of their entire range of feelings. The study draws from the Bible, science, music and our lived experiences to help children learn to manage their emotions in positive and healthy ways.
• Issue Study: Pushout – The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools Based on the book by Dr. Monique Morris, this study invites participants to learn about the school-to-prison pipeline and school-to-confinement pathways, mass incarceration and the criminalization of girls of color from a theological perspective, alongside historical information and the words and stories of young people from across the country.
• Special Publication: Women United for Change: 150 Years in Mission First offered in 2019, “Women United for Change” dives into the exciting 150-year history of United Methodist Women and its predecessor organizations. Learn what women organized for mission accomplished for the church and the world – you might be surprised!
All are welcome to join us for Mission u, held at Lindsey Wilson College, Columbia KY on July 9-12, 2020. In addition to studying deeply together, we will share in worship and song, join together in fellowship, and seek ways to put our faith into action. For more information, Judy McQueen firstname.lastname@example.org or see at church.